Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Close to hell, nearer to heaven...

Here i am, standing at the edge of the cliff, looking down into the abyss below, morbid thoughts running through my head. It's quite a long way down, i think. The deeper the better. Atleast it won't be painful. Just a momentary gush of wind through your hair and quick death will welcome you into its frightening silence. I look across the deep ravine below below me. Funny, seems exactly where my heart is hiding. In that dark cavern of lies, regret and failure where the bats of guilt reside. All they need is flash of light to unfurl their wings and break through the cave of restraint.

And that final roll of dice has been cast.

I'm here to end it all. The betrayal, the regret, the failure that has perennially plagued my life. The disappointment, the humiliation and the suffering that everyone dear to me had to endure. The man i am and the man i never could be.

Remember the time in your life when nothing seems to be going right. When everything you do leads to nothing at all. When you have no clue where your life is heading towards but you know that it's the wrong destination. When you can no longer recognize yourself in the mirror. When your voice escapes from your lips and not from your heart. When your thoughts are your worst nightmares. When your own soul begs for freedom. I've gone through that feeling all my life. Believe me, i'm no coward.

I think about all the times in my life when i had laughed heartily and the innumerable times when i'd shed and swallowed my own bitter tears. Times when my own heart wouldn't accept them. All i could think of was those terrible thoughts, those hideously morose thoughts that grip you and never let you go. I couldn't take it anymore. My soul was trapped in my own body, screaming to end the tormenting assault of endless desolation wreaked upon my fragile mind.

I take one last look across the dark chasm that lay in front of me. I'm already dreaming about the last rush of life i'd be feeling as i would descend into the black valley of death. The last thoughts i'd have to endure. The last emotion that would run through my mind as i would enter earth's loving embrace.

Looking down in the dark hell below, i begin to take little steps towards the edge. I close my eyes and am about to take the last few steps when i hear a voice behind me. I turn around to find an old man, his eyes brimming with hope and expectation, hobbling towards me. He walks towards me, a smile as bright and mellow as the morning sun on his lips. He staggers near me, eying the view behind me and asks,

"Sir, would you like to buy a couple of wings ?"

7 comments:

Shaikh Yasir Ahmed said...

I suggest you buy those wings.
Or maybe just mug the old bastard and steal them! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow..what a write. I loved the end. Fantastic!

White Shadow said...

@shadowed meanings

interesting suggestion...

maybe i shud try it out...

well...i'll def be nearer to heaven! ;-)

Unknown said...

i think this is pretty cool!....take d wings man..

White Shadow said...

@karishma

hmmm...maybe...maybe...

mind if i ask you to display ur profile or the link to ur blog?

Serendipity said...

Oh this IS simply WOW!

White Shadow said...

@serendipity
Thank you very much. :)